Alaska Resources

To find out about key benefits and services in Alaska and how to apply, select from the topics below.

Key State Contacts

Issa Spatrisano

Phone: (907) 222-7341

Hayat Khalaf

Phone: (907) 222-7309

  • State Refugee Outreach Manager

Marioma Ismael

Send an email

Cash & Food Assistance

Cash assistance available to ORR-eligible clients that are single or couples without children.

Federal nutrition program

Cash assistance designed to help low-income families achieve self-sufficiency

  • Supplemental Security Income

You must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at your Social Security office and must qualify for a federal SSI payment to receive the state SSI payment. The Social Security Office Locator enables you to locate the nearest Social Security office based on a ZIP code.

A program offering supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition information to low-income women who are pregnant or have children aged birth to five; WIC can be applied for in person by visiting a local WIC clinic.

A program that provides monthly payments to adults and children with a disability or blindness who have income and resources below specific financial limits. SSI payments are also made to people age 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial qualifications.

Saint Francis House Food Pantry (SFH) is one of the largest food pantries in the state of Alaska, providing emergency food assistance for an average of 116 families per day.

The food banks of Alaska shipped statewide to 150 partner food pantries, soup kitchens, senior centers, and children’s programs feeding their hungry neighbors.

Refugee & Newcomer Health

The Refugee Health Screening is a unique medical appointment for newly arrived in the United States. CSS RAIS Program for Refugee Health Screening trains the healthcare providers who do these clinic visits to provide the best care possible to newcomers to the country. The health care providers will also refill medication and help ensure newcomers have a primary doctor and can go to specialty doctors if needed (like a heart doctor or orthopedist).

This resource directory of low-cost and immigrant-friendly health services includes a listing of hospitals, clinics, organizations, and services that offer dental services, disability services, domestic violence services and sexual assault services, health services, home health services, hotlines, mental health services, and vision services.

  • Community Health Worker Solutions

Focuses on building pathways for new arrivals to connect with community health workers through the Resettlement Network, to ensure timely health supports for new arrivals with acute and chronic health needs.


Accessing Health Care

Medical Assistance (MA) is an Alaska Medicaid program for low-income people.

A federal program providing medical assistance to refugees. If you are a newly arrived refugee resettled in Alaska, contact your resettlement agency for assistance in submitting a healthcare program application through a designated process for new arrivals.

United way provides free enrollment assistance to Alaskans seeking health coverage.

A list of low-cost or free physical, mental, and dental health care clinics

Persons with Disabilities

A free statewide resource network

Resources, training, technical assistance, and outreach to create a barrier-free Alaskans with disabilities

People with disabilities who work may get health care coverage under a program called Medical Assistance (MA) for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD).

Helps Alaskans who are deaf, deafblind, and hard of hearing and their families

Assist Alaskans who are blind, DeafBlind, losing vision, or who have another disability that makes it difficult to read print


Medicare is health insurance for people 65 or older. You’re first eligible to sign up for Medicare 3 months before you turn 65.

  • Senior Linkage Line

Resources for older Alaskans

Phone: 1-800-478-9996

The Social Security program in the United States provides protection against the loss of earnings due to retirement, death, or disability.

Children's Health

Early intervention services for infants and toddlers at risk for developmental delays

Department of Human Services supports children’s mental health services, from prevention to crisis response and school programs to treatment.

The AkVFC program offers free or low-cost vaccines for eligible children age 18 years and younger.

A parent training and information center for families of children and youth with all disabilities from birth through 21 years old.

Mental Health

A nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with mental illnesses and their families. NAMI provides guidance to people who are trying to navigate the mental health system, identifies resources and treatment that can help and much more.

If you’re struggling with your mental health but aren’t experiencing a mental health crisis or emergency, reach out to the Alaska Warmline.

Accessible mental health services and support for adults through Alaska Behavioral Health

Dental Health

A nonprofit dental clinic that serves all patients. Accepts all state public programs and most commercial insurances with open networks: multicultural staff, 25 languages spoken.

Accept all forms of insurance, including Medical Assistance, and offer discounted care through an income-based sliding fee scale. We are currently accepting new patients.

Find Housing

Provides Alaskans access to safe, quality, affordable housing. Includes affordable housing, energy efficiency, senior housing programs and more.

Dedicated to improving the quality of life for families and individuals by preserving homes, creating new housing opportunities and strengthening neighborhoods.

Promotes financial stability and independence through homeless, housing, and shelter services, homeownership, and home improvement

Offers case management services for individuals experiencing homelessness. Provides case management and other services for refugees, asylees, and other eligible individuals.

Provides domestic violence safe shelter, intervention, and prevention.

Offers quality rentals to individuals, families, and seniors at all income levels, as well as homebuyer lending services and rehabilitation programs for current homeowners

Provides housing and employment support to Ukrainians impacted by current conflict.

Assistance with Housing Costs

Provides a limited number of emergency housing vouchers to eligible families

Offers case management services for individuals experiencing homelessness. Provides case management and other services for refugees, asylees, and other eligible individuals.

Helps residents maintain housing stability

Call 211 (24/7) to speak to a Community Resource Specialist

Housing Advocacy

Leads the citywide coordinated entry system and advocates for housing policy

Dedicated to increasing the supply of safe, sanitary, and affordable housing in Alaska

Housing Counseling

HUD sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low-cost advice.

Phone: 800-569-4287

Renter Rights

ALSC assists clients who are facing critical civil legal issues, including housing problems. ALSC operates a landlord-tenant hotline and conducts fair housing investigations.

Homelessness Prevention & Assistance

Offers free mediation to landlords and tenants. Helps the two sides work out their dispute without going to court. Available before or after the landlord starts an eviction case in court.

“One-stop resource for connecting with a wide variety of services in your community including emergency food and shelter and much more.”

Catholic Social Services provides community orientation only to R&P clients. Individuals that come through sponsorship program do not qualify. Therefore, sponsors are responsible to do community orientation for their beneficiaries.


  • Community Orientation Welcome Center

Brigit Reynolds

Phone: (907) 222-7348

Send an email

Employment services through the resettlement network

  • CSS Welcome Center

Brigit Reynolds

Phone: (907) 222-7348

Send an email

  • New Chance INC

Zori Opanasevych

Phone: 907-330-9916

Send an email

  • Project Alaska Inc.

Tetyana Robbins

Send an email


Information and resources about obtaining a driver’s license or state ID

Provide Social Security Numbers and administer retirement, disability, survivor, and family benefits, and enroll individuals in Medicare


Free online and in-person classes

Online and in-person $50 per 10-12 weeks semester

Course fee $30, $40 for books


Parents Achieving Self-Sufficiency, or PASS, is an Alaska Department of Public Assistance program through the Child Care Program Office which provides Childcare Assistance.

The PASS program is divided into three categories: PASS I, II, and III.

Eligibility for each PASS category and copay amounts are determined by DPA benefits received and income.

threadAlaska is a statewide childcare referral and resource agency. Services include child care referrals, child care search tools, family resources and support, events, advocacy, and child care information.

Early Childhood Education

Head Start is a federal program that promotes school readiness of children ages birth to five from low-income families by supporting the development of the whole child through comprehensive services such as health, nutrition, and parent involvement. Services include preschool, child care, and home-based education programs.

Program for Infants and Children, or PIC, provides early intervention services for infants and toddlers with special needs. Services include health and safety, early intervention, family supports, and assistance with essentials such as diapers, housing and transportation.

K-12 Education

The first step to enrolling a new to district student in the ASD is completing a pre-enrollment. After completing pre-enrollment, the ASD will email the parent or guardian with login information for a QParentConnect account. Registration is completed on this account.

Enrollment in the MSBSD may be completed by creating a ParentVue account on the district website.

Pre-enrollment in the Delta/Greely School District may be done online. After completing pre-enrollment, the district will contact families to complete registration.

School enrollment forms may be completed online on the JSD website. However, enrollment packets must be completed for the individual school.

School enrollment in the Fairbanks/North Star Borough School District may be completed by creating a PowerSchool Guardian account from the FNSBSD website.

Eligible families experiencing hardships may receive services through CIT/FIT departments of Alaska school districts. Services may include transportation, immunization extension, and free meals.

ELL and EL departments assist students and families that have limited English abilities. Services may include interpretation services, tutoring and specialist staff, adjusted curriculum, English testing and evaluation, and ensuring federal education compliance.

Welcome Corps

Report cases of fraud (for example, individuals asking for money in exchange for becoming a private sponsor or to assist in submitting an application)


Wage and Hour provides sole enforcement of several laws dealing with the payment of wages to workers (wage claims, prevailing wage, minimum wage and overtime).

Phone: (907) 269-4900

Works to eliminate and prevent discrimination for all Alaskans

Phone: (907) 274-4692


Services provided by the Alaska Occupational Safety and Health Section (AKOSH) are focused on reducing occupational fatalities, injuries and illnesses.

Phone: (800) 770-4940

Public Safety

The Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault promotes and sustains a collective movement to end violence and oppression through social change.

Call ANDVSA directly for help at (907) 586-3650

Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

DPS ensure public safety and enforce fish and wildlife laws.

Along with their location in Anchorage, they have two residency that cover the entire state.

Violence, Human Trafficking, and Exploitation

Human Trafficking Alaska Institute for Justice has several language access to assist individuals with

Phone: (907) 789-1326 or 1-877-273-2457

AWAIC provide domestic violence safe shelter, intervention, and prevention

24/7 assistance for individuals going through crisis

Phone: 877-266-4357

Adult & Child Abuse

Adult Protective Services helps to prevent or stop harm from occurring to vulnerable adults.

Phone: (907) 269-3666

  • Alaska Children Trust (ACT)

ACT assist children who have experienced sexual abuse.

Hotline: 1-800-478-4444

ACA helps children who experience child abuse.

Call 1-800-478-4444 or send an email to report abuse.

Mental Health

24/7 service for individuals who experience mental health crisis

Phone (24/7): 877-266-4357

NAMI Alaska provides education, support, advocacy, and public awareness for Alaska NAMI Affiliates, individuals, their families, friends, and community members whose lives are affected by a mental health condition.

Call 988 anytime if you’re in a crisis.


  • RAIS

Once an intake is completed, the new arrival will have access to all services at RAIS and will not have to wait until after the 90 days.

Contact: Brigit Reynolds

Phone: (907) 222-7348

Send an email